The idashboards.log file is a log file (or several files) automatically created and maintained by the
iDashboards application server. The idashboards.log file records server request and response activity.
Entries that are more recent are appended to the end of the file. Some typical data that can be found in
the log: User-specific information, user activity and date/time. This data can be combined into a single file,
or separated into distinct logs depending on the size. Log files are mostly used by the Support team to
trouble shoot any technical issues. This document explains how to log the most verbose errors into the
log file, download it and sending it to support.
From the Admin Console
To access the Logs Settings screen, click the “System Logs” tab under the Systems menu of the
iDashboards admin application. The Logs Settings screen (Figure 1) should appear. Make sure the Log
settings are similar to those in Figure 1.
1. Set the General Level to Debug.
2. Enable the XML Logging and Enable the HTTP request Logging.
3. Click the Apply button. A pop up menu box should appear. (See Figure 2).
4. The message inside the menu box should read, “Log Settings Were Updated!”. Click OK.
Downloading Log Files
The active log file (idashboards.log) and any existing archived log files (idashboards.log.1,
idashboards.log.2, etc.) can be downloaded through the Logs Settings screen. To do so, select the
desired files from the list at the right of the screen and click the “Download…” button. The selected files
will be bundled into a ZIP file by the server and will be downloaded.
If you cannot access the Admin Console
At times, your Admin application might not be responding and you need help from the Technical support.
Technical support will need to view the log files in order to troubleshoot the issue. Here is the alternative
way to prepare the most verbose input to the log file.
1. Stop the application server.
2. Open the ivizgroup.properties file to edit from <iDashboards install
3. Set the log.level property to “DEBUG”. This value must be one of the following: ERROR,
WARN, INFO or DEBUG (The default is INFO). DEBUG will produce the most verbose
output, and ERROR will produce the least. Normally, DEBUG should only be used when
troubleshooting. After the iDashboards server has been started, the log settings can be
changed through the log settings screen of the iDashboards Admin application. Upon a
server restart, however, the log settings will revert to those configured in this file.
For example: log.level=DEBUG
4. Restart the application server.
Downloading Log Files
If you are unable to get to the admin application:
1. Browse to <iDashboards install dir>\logs directory on the web server.
2. Compress and copy the idashboards.log file(s).
Sending Log Files to iDashboards Technical Support
When working with iDashboards technical support to troubleshoot problems with the iDashboards server,
it is useful to provide the iDashboards log file(s) to the support representative. Problems can be
diagnosed and corrected more expeditiously if these steps are followed prior to contacting iDashboards
1. Prepare the log File as described in “Preparing to log” section, above.
2. Replicate the error such that the most verbose information is logged into the log file.
3. Download the log file as described in “Downloading the log file” section, above.
4. Email the ZIP file containing the log file(s), along with a description and the screen shots of the
error to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The attached document contains the same information if you need to send this information to anyone.
- X Platform
- Enterprise Suite