AxioWorks SQList for SharePoint Connectivity
Creating a JDBC connection is the preferred way to derive data into iDashboards. There are known
limitations connecting to SharePoint Lists that make a JDBC connection directly to the List prohibitive. However there are other options available for connecting iDashboards to SharePoint Lists. One such option tested is the product from AxioWorks called SQList. This is the preferred method of having SharePoint Lists as a data source and is partially supported by the iDashboards Support Services team.
When installed, the SQList service acts as a middleware between an installed MS SQL Server database (2000 – 2008 including SQL Server Express) and a SharePoint Lists. Once configured, the SQList service pulls data from SharePoint Lists and creates tables in one or more specified SQL Server databases. Users can then create an iDashboards SQL Server data source that connects to the database that contains the derived SQList SharePoint List data.
To download a trial:
For installation and instructions:
The trial version of SQList Professional provides you with:
- The ability to export up to 20 SharePoint sites...
- ...to a maximum of 20 SQL Server databases
- Full functionality for 30 days
SQList is available for purchase in three version based on the customers needed features; SQList Entry, SQList Standard, and SQList Professional.
- The SQList service automatically creates the necessary tables in the SQL Server database to
match the SharePoint lists.
- The SQList service exports SharePoint list data to single or multiple SQL Server databases.
- The SQList service can write to SQL Server databases that reside on a different server i.e. not the same server as where Sharepoint or SQList software are installed.
- The table names created by the SQList service will have the SharePoint site name appended to them. An example of the way the table name appears will be: ‘SharePointSiteName:SharePointListName’.
- The SQList service is continuously running behind the scenes so the data in the database is
refreshed automatically every time there is a change made to the SharePoint list. The SQList
service will modify the data in the database as rows are modified in the SharePoint list.
Refreshing or reopening the dashboard will return the most recent data from the database.
- Since iDashboards is connected to the MS SQL Server database using JDBC, there is more control when it comes to writing SQL Queries and stored procedures on SharePoint List database.
- The iDashboards Support Services team will support the connection to the SQList database.
- The SQList service does not provide a direct connection to SharePoint Lists from iDashboards.
- The SQList service cannot connect to a SharePoint website that is hosted across the Internet, from a Microsoft server or otherwise.
- The very First column of the SharePoint list will always have the column header of ‘Title’ in the SQL Server database. This cannot be changed as it is a SharePoint requirement.
- Any changes made to the SharePoint List column headers will not get replected in the SQL
Server tables as this is a SharePoint limitation.
- The tables that are created by the SQList service in SQL Server contain some additional columns containing referential data that might not be required for creating charts. Additional Columns: ‘ID’, ‘ContentType’, ’Modified’, ’Created’, ’Author’, ’Editor’ and ’GUID’.
- The SQList service will need an additional SQL Server database if one is not available from the customer.
- The iDashboards Support Services team will not support the installation and maintenance of the AxioWorks SQList product. iDashboards recommends SQList but does not have a partnership with AxioWorks.