When attempting to open the iDashboards User Application interface in Internet Explorer (which requires Flash) on a Windows operating system the message "An add-on for this website failed to run" is returned and the page will not open.
Flash Player is blocked on most recent Windows Server O.S. including but not limited to, 2003, 2008 and 2012 by default. Sometimes it becomes necessary to open the iDashboards User Interface on the local server where iDashboards is installed. If an error occurs and the message "an add-on for this website failed to run” is returned, following the steps below on your server should resolve the issue.
Check the setting the ActiveX settings in Internet Explorer under Tools->internet options->security tab->custom level-> to either Enable or Prompt and temporarily disable Internet Explorer Enhanced Security.
For Windows 2008 and 2012:
First, check to verify that Flash is installed on the server. Open "Tools->Manage Add-Ons" to verify that Adobe Flash component is installed and enabled under "Toolbars and Extensions".
Another option to verify Flash is installed and to see what version is installed on your system, browse to the link below. You'll see two animated boxes showing that Flash is installed and what version it is:
If you do not see anything related to Flash via either method above, even after changing the drop down to "Show->all add-ons", then Open Server Manager, select Features and find the feature labeled "Desktop Experience" under "User Interfaces and Infrastructure" that is not checked by default. Check that box and proceed to install it. This will allow the server to restart twice which is normal.
The following link explains what enabling Desktop Experience does to the server as well as additional installation options:
Once Desktop Experience is successfully installed, you can reopen Manage Add-Ons and you should now see the Flash component to be able to verify that it is enabled.
Now open IE and browse to the User Application once more and you'll see that the page opens successfully.
For more information, see the Microsoft Technet forum link below:
To disable Internet Explorer Enhanced Security for Server 2012:
- On the Windows Server 2012 server desktop, locate and start the Server Manager.
- Select Local Server.
- On the right side of the Server Manager, you will find the IE Enhanced Security Configuration Setting. (The default is On)
- You have two settings that can be disabled, one only affects the Administrators and the other all users. Disable Internet Explorer Enhanced Security for the required option(s). Click OK.
- Back in the Server Manager, you will see that the setting has not changed at all. Press F5 to refresh the Server Manager and you wil see that it is changed to Off.
To disable Internet Explorer Enhanced Security for Server 2008:
In Windows Server 2008,
- Open Server Manager and click on the root folder.
- Then scroll down to the Security Information Section and click “Configure IE ESC”.
- You can turn off IE ESC for Administrators and/or for users.
You now see that the Flash component attempts to install but now there's a Flash message stating that Flash is already built-in and that it will be updated automatically as needed and your only option is to click Quit, the Flash component is most likely installed but you will need to un-block the Flash component on the server.
For Windows 2003:
In Windows 2003 Server the process for allowing Flash is slightly different since there is no option for enabling Desktop Experience. The error received is also slightly different but the bottom line is that Flash will not install. Simply temporarily disable Internet Explorer enhanced Security to allow Flash to download and install.
- Navigate to Control Panel.
- Then choose ‘Add or Remove Programs’.
- Then choose ‘Add/Remove Windows Components.
- Scroll down until you see ‘Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration’. Click on the box to un-check this option then click ‘Next’ and finally ‘Finish’.
Open Internet Explorer. You will initially be shown a web page stating that Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration is not turned on. Navigate to the iDashboards User page. You will now be prompted to install Flash.
Once this is installed you will be able to access the iDashboards User Login page.
NOTE: Please remember to enable the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration when testing is complete.
Window Server Operating Systems