The US Weather ViPanel can be placed inside a dashboard frame and display the current weather for any part of the United States using information from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (See Figure 1).
The ViPanel dropdown list contains a list of ViPanels that are available to use. In this case US Weather has been selected. Displays current date and weather information such as High/Low temperature in celsius and fahrenheit along with chance of rain.
Text that will be placed above the US Weather ViPanel used as a description. This most llikely will be the city or zip code that is being displayed. 48098 is the zip code for Troy, MI and is used in this example.
This ViPanel utilizes the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration as a data source. The API requires that a zip code be provided as a look-up for the region. City and state cannot be used.
This will allow you to display the temperature in either Fahrenheit or Celsius.
Example (See Figure 2)
Please download the US Weather ViPanel by clicking on the attachment below.
To install this ViPanel, unzip the contents to your desktop then follow these instructions:
- Log into the iDashboards Administrator application and choose 'Settings' > 'Plugins'.
- Select the appropriate plugin type and, in the case of a custom map, subtype.
- Click the Add Plugin button. This will open the plugin upload screen.
- ViPanels consist of a Flash movie (SWF) file and an XML file, while ViPanel sets and set-selectors consist of a single XML file. Enter the paths to the two files in the appropriate spaces, either by typing them or by clicking the Browse button(s) and finding them on the disk. For a plugin set or set-selector, enter the path to the XML configuration file.
- Click the Upload button. The Administrator Application will upload the file(s) to server, check them for consistency and either accept them or reject them. In either case, it will display a status message.
Please see the 'Managing Plugins' chapter of the iDashboards Admin manual for more information on installing ViPanels.
The weather data displayed in the iDashboards US Weather ViPanel is provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (www.weather.gov). Weather data is only available for zip codes within the 50 United States and Puerto Rico.
- Enterprise 8.0 to current