The RSS ViPanel can be placed inside a dashboard frame and display RSS feeds from different sites and blogs. (See Figure 1).
The ViPanel dropdown list contains a list of ViPanels that are available to use. In this case RSS Reader has been selected.
The main configuration is the URL path to the RSS feed.
Prefer post summaries over content when available
Display a summary of the feeds instead of the full content of the feed, when the summary feed is available from the RSS site.
If you are accessing outside of the domain you will need to check the Use Proxy check box. This will allow you to gain access to the contents that resides in a location other tha your local network.
When adding the RSS ViPanel depending on the location of the feed you may need some additional configuration. To enable the ability to access content outside of an internal network the iDashboards Proxy Server needs to be enabled.
To enable the Proxy Server:
- Log into the iDashboards Admin console.
- Click the 'System' tab.
- From the 'Settings Category:' dropdown, select 'Server Settings'.
- Edit the 'Proxy Server Enabled' setting.
- Set the value to 'True' and click 'Save'. See Figure 2.
Use this field to limit the number of entries displayed by the ViPanel. The default is 10 posts.
Example (See Figure 3)
Please download the RSS Reader ViPanel by clicking on the attachment below.
To install the RSS Reader ViPanel, unzip the contents to your desktop then follow these instructions:
- Log into the iDashboards Administrator application and choose 'Settings' > 'Plugins'.
- Select the appropriate plugin type and, in the case of a custom map, subtype.
- Click the Add Plugin button. This will open the plugin upload screen.
- ViPanels consist of a Flash movie (SWF) file and an XML file, while ViPanel sets and set-selectors consist of a single XML file. Enter the paths to the two files in the appropriate spaces, either by typing them or by clicking the Browse button(s) and finding them on the disk. For a plugin set or set-selector, enter the path to the XML configuration file.
- Click the Upload button. The Administrator Application will upload the file(s) to server, check them for consistency and either accept them or reject them. In either case, it will display a status message.
Please see the 'Managing Plugins' chapter of the iDashboards Admin manual for more information on installing ViPanels.
- Enterprise 8.0 to current