iDashboards can utilize Microsoft Excel files using two different methods. The preferred method is to use the iDashboards Excel Auto-Uploader, which uploads a copy of your Excel file to the iDashboards server and inserts it into our workbook database. Excel files can also be added or updated by navigating to the iDashboards Admin page or Data Hub.
iDashboards requires that at least one named range be defined in your Excel file before it may be used as a data source. A named range in an Excel file is viewed by iDashboards similar to how it views a table in a database. To create a named range in your Excel file, highlight the data that you wish to be used in iDashboards and type a name in the Name Box (circled in red in the following screenshot).
Once you have created your named range, make sure to save your file. You can modify and add additional named ranges using the Name Manager under the Formulas tab. For more on creating a named range, check out the videos available at the URL below:
Creating a Data Source using the Data Hub
The steps below assume that you have already completed the configuration process that connects the Data Hub to the Data Hub database. If you have not already completed this process, you will be presented with a configuration screen instead of the Upload Files button. If this is the case, skip to the Data Hub database configuration section below to configure your connection before going through this section. You will of course also have to have a valid Named Range associated with the Excel file before you will be able to upload it.
1. Log on to your iDashboards Data Hub Application and click on the Excel Data tab.
2. Click the Upload Files button.
3. In the new window, browse to the needed Excel file and click Open. You can select multiple Excel files to upload at the same time if required.
4. In the new window, select the needed file(s) and click Upload. The application will process for a moment and then refresh the window. The green check mark verifies that the Excel file has been successfully uploaded.
You will then be able to see the uploaded file in the main Excel Data Window along with your other uploaded Excel files.
Configuring the Data Hub database connection
1. Log into the Data Hub application and click the Excel Data tab.
2. A new window will appear stating that you need to configure the Data Hub database connection. Click OK and then click the Edit Configuration button.
3. In the new window, select your data source type and fill in the needed information to connect to the database.
4. Click Save.