A prospect that has completed the software evaluation phase and purchases the product is required to then be moved from the evaluation version to a production installation of iDashboards. The evaluation version of iDashboards software comes bundled with a light weight Apache Derby database which is for evaluation purposes ONLY and is not suitable for a production environment. The iDashboards Support Services team strongly recommends moving the repository to a more robust/stable database such as MS SQL Server, Oracle, or MySQL.
Limitations of Using Derby:
- Only meant for evaluation purposes.
- Lightweight database can get unstable once it grows to larger sizes. i.e. Greater than 100 charts.
- There is no direct upgrade path and technical support will not be able to assist in upgrading Derby to a newer version of iDashboards.
Upgrade Path to a Production Install:
The upgrade path consists of moving the iDashboards repository database to one of the following database - MS SQL Server 2008 and above, Oracle, or MySQL. There are two ways of achieving this:
1. Creating a database repository on any of the above listed Database and merely pointing the current iDashboards evaluation install to use it as a repository in place of the bundled Derby database. Steps:
- Note that performing this type of upgrade will make upgrading Java and Tomcat to a newer version more difficult. Thus iDashboards Support recommends the next option.
- Download the latest version of the iDashboards software (CDROM image) from the Support download site (http://support.idashboards.com/downloads). If you do not have credentials, please contact your iDashboards representative.
- Assuming you have already installed or have available an existing installed database, create a new database namely ‘iDashboards’ in your database server. Run the respective script available in the ‘..\iDashboards_CDROM\scripts\database\standard\create_repository’ folder to create the required repository database.
- Once the repository is ready, update the ‘ivizgroup.properties’ file to point to the new repository database ‘iDashboards’ in place of the Apache Derby. The ivizgroup.properties file should be located under ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\iDashboardsX\config’ folder.
- If you have charts/Dashboards created under evaluation to be migrated to the production install, you will have to export out all the charts/dashboards/picklists etc from the Derby database as an ‘.idbar’ file before updating the ‘ivizgroup.properties’ file. Once the installation is pointing to the new repository database, the exported ‘.idbar’ file will then have to be imported from the Admin application to complete the migration. Please refer to the below chapter of the Admin manual for more information on the Import/Export process:
- Chapter 17 ‘Importing and Exporting Charts and Dashboards’.
2. Doing a fresh production installation of iDashboards on the Client’s physical or virtual Server in parallel to the evaluation software.
Manual Install using the CDROM image:
Refer to Chapter 2 - ‘Manual Installation’ from the iDashboards Admin Manual for steps to do a manual install.
iDashboards Production Installer
The iDashboards production installer is a windows .exe application installer file that needs to be run on the server. Please refer to the installer documentation for more information.
More information about the differences between the iDashboards Evaluation version and the production version can be found here: