v10.0a marks the first release of the Next Generation of iDashboards. While this release is mostly all-new, there is a migration path for existing customers. However, this release does not contain the same features previously available in the Flash or Desktop Application interface. The easiest upgrade for existing customers would be v9.7, and upgrading to v10 requires consultation with your Client Success Manager.
**Disclaimer: iDashboards does not promise, nor warranty any functionality announced in a pre-release statement. Release schedules are subject to change. Release schedules vary depending by product offering.**
Using the browser with the Adobe Flash Player Plugin has been at the core of iDashboards since the launch of iDashboards v1.0, in 2003. Flash was the only way to both view and edit/build dashboards, and no other client installation was required. With the release of v8.5 in 2014 iDashboards developed a new viewing-only experience for any browser type utilizing HTML5. Logic was also placed into the iDashboards platform to help auto-detect a user with a mobile browser to use the HTML5 interface. Over the years, there have been additional interface options for using iDashboards, such as iOS apps for iPhones or iPads, Android apps for phones and tablets, an HTML view-only experience, and lastly, the iDashboards Desktop Application (which relies upon Adobe AIR). In 2015, when we had the release of v9.0, iDashboards had the first full-featured User Application that completely eliminated the need for a browser and no longer depended upon the Adobe Flash Player plugin. Moving forward, the only interfaces supported in v10.0 will be the all-new HTML framework (for existing users, iDashboards will also support the Desktop Application which has no retirement plan as of yet). v10.0 will be the future platform of iDashboards, removing all final barriers of relying upon the Adobe Flash platform. We very much look forward to the endless opportunities and development efforts that can go directly into a single, modern interface.
Existing users will have the option to migrate forward into the all-new HTML experience, remain in the legacy Desktop Application and new HTML experience, or use a combination of both. However, iDashboards is strongly encouraging all existing users, where it makes sense, to migrate away from the Adobe Flash technologies and into the all-new HTML framework.
The initial release of v10.0 will not contain all the same features as seen in the previous releases’ Flash or Desktop Application interface. Therefore, it may be preferred to use the "legacy" framework for viewing some charts and dashboards. When you're ready to move forward, there is an automated migration path to help make a full transition. However, migrated and new HTML charts and dashboards will not be backward compatible into the Flash or Desktop Application interfaces.
Redesigned features in v10.0
- Derby Data Source
- User Experience
- New login experience (one URL)
- A new simplified method for viewing or editing dashboards
- Viewing and building occurs within two interfaces
- Viewers automatically go into the viewing interface
- Builder role (and above) first visit a lobby
- New option to Share a dashboard! Send an email or copy the URL!
- Multiple opened dashboards no longer use tabs, instead using a switch dashboard option
- Dashboards now have a Name and Title and Description (much like charts)
- The Builder can now upload images while building dashboards or charts
- The Builder can now multi-select items for deletion
- Viewer has the following options for opening dashboard(s).
- Drag-window, CTRL-click, double-click, or click-and-open
- In-product Help guide for Viewer. Robust manual for Builder.
- New login experience (one URL)
- Admin Experience
- Drag and drop to upload content
- In-place content preview
- Searchable settings
- Import/Export now creates and imports using the ZIP file format. The legacy IDBAR file format will not be supported for import or export. The Import and Export validation process is completely new and much improved.
- New mobile phone experience (via browser, not app)
- Update display modes: No-Scale, Vertical Scroll, and Horizontal Scroll
- Builder can set the frame-order when using a scroll mode
- Automatically skip empty frames when using a scroll mode
- In-product "Help" guide
- LCD Slideshow hotspot (to activate hidden buttons) is now the entire screen
- LCD user locking: can individually be unlocked by the admin (no longer requires server restart!)
- The ViFrame chart is being renamed Details chart
- The ViGallery chart is being renamed Gallery chart
- Pyramid and Funnel charts have a new property Slice Transparency
- Chart Data Diagnostics require the chart menu to be visible
- User roles are changing
- v9.7 = Viewer, Business User, Analyst, Data Admin, Admin
- v10.0 = Viewer, Builder, Data Admin, Admin
- The Analyst role is being renamed to Builder
- The Business User role is retired
- This role will be demoted to a viewer within the administrative console
- Migration process occurs on existing Dashboards, Charts and Slideshows. The process is part manual, part automated.
- Only the Builder interface can migrate.
- Prior to migrating dashboards, all legacy dashboards can be opened in the Viewer interface after upgrading to v10.
- The ability to perform migrations will also depend on a license switch and System Setting.
- Manually open a dashboard and the dashboard, and all included charts, and all Dashboard ID’s in a slideshow, are automatically migrated. The migration process Copies all entities and creates New entities. This also creates new Global ID’s on the server, using new repository tables.
- Migration also occurs on charts when simply placing them into a frame (when using the Dashboard Designer).
- Migrated items, or any native v10 item, do not appear in the Desktop Application.
- Legacy items that get Migrated remain available for open, view and edit within the Desktop App.
- Deleting a migrated item will not affect anything within the Desktop Application. The item can be re-migrated in the future.
- Only the Builder interface can migrate.
Removed features from v10.0
Features removed from iDashboards may later be re-implemented using the previous capabilities or a new design.
- Ability to edit dashboards within the browser (the Adobe Flash interface via browser has been removed)
- Professional Cloud (Private Cloud will get v10.0 upgrades beginning in July 2019)
- ODBC Data Sources are no longer supported or allowed (Excel and Access) - even within a migrated version using the Desktop Application.
- Ref: https://oskar.idashboards.com/hc/en-us/articles/115014372167-11-09-2017-ODBC-end-of-life-Announcement
- IF needed, it will be possible to use JVM 1.7, and then use the ODBC/JDBC bridge.
- Right-Click menus and Right-Click options
- fv_request_log is not fully implemented.
- This is required for using the Visibility Pack when monitoring activity levels.
- Changing the Chart Type will no longer retain customized properties (from the right-hand panel of the Chart Properties). Doing so will reset those values to their default.
- Changing the location of a chart pivot via chart menu button. The only way to change the location will be within the Chart Designer.
- Open Copy of chart.
- Last pivot is a slider
- On-Demand Reports
- Scheduled Reports
- Report Properties
- Report Server
- Report Themes
- Scheduled checking
- On-Screen Alerting
- Email Alerting
- SMS Alerting
- ViPanel Apps
- Weather, Countdown Clock, World Clock, Calculator, etc.
- Video Panel for FLV movie files
- Custom Plugins
- Custom Maps
- Maps with regions
- County Maps (including all 50-states)
- Country Maps
- Continent Maps
- World with Continents
- World with Countries
- North America
- South America
- USA and Territories
- Custom Charts
- Candle (Candlestick)
- ViGraphic Custom Charts
- Mapsets and Mapset Selectors
- Gantt Chart
- Pyramid 3D Chart
- Cone Chart
- Funnel 3D Chart
- Funnel Cone Chart
- Stoplight Lit Animation (Blink, Soft Pulse, Hard Pulse)
- Stoplight Cover
- Window Dragger property on charts like Bar, Column, etc.
- LCD Wall Display Legacy URLs
- Dashboard/Chart Viewing Features:
- Mouseover Pie Analyzer
- Ribbon Legend
- Save Dashboard Preview
- Export Dashboard as JPG
- Dashboard Gallery
- Dashboard List Modes
- Dashboard List Styles
- Dashboard List Positions
- Statistical variable for a column with pivot (ex: y5p_mean;)
- Login Notification
- Dashboard Animated Transitions (still available in LCD Wall Display mode)
- Review Version Patches section above for additional details
- Request Log (ready)
- Chart Scrollbars aka "Window Dragger" (future release v10.1)
- Rich text editor
- Improving the Text Panel (future release v10.1)
- Improving the Details Chart (Fall/Winter 2019/2020)
- Dashboard thumbnails (future release v10.1)
- Language packs (post-release of v10.1)
- Gantt chart (future release v10.1)
- Radar charts (future release v10.1)
- Improved refresh interval (future release v10.1)
- Alerts (future release v10.1)
- Reports (Fall/Winter 2019/2020)
Enterprise Service Release Notes are created by Development and Updated by the Support Services Team. If you find anything we missed, then please contact iDashboards Support for further assistance and they will update the article.