This will require Data Admin privileges to setup and Builder for implementation.
iDashboards is able to connect to a Blackbaud Financial Edge NXT with their SKY API by using a JDBC driver. A JDBC driver is a software component enabling a Java application to interact with a database. To connect with individual databases, JDBC (Java Database Connectivity API) requires specific drivers for each database. The JDBC driver gives out the connection to the database and implements the protocol for transferring the query and result between the client and the database. iDashboards implements native protocols and does not require additional software installed on the driver host. In other words, iDashboards provides driver connectivity with the JDBC Data Source via the specified driver. This document explains a step-by-step procedure to create the Data Source with a Premium Data Connector.
CData JDBC Driver for Blackbaud FE NXT is where we get the documentation on making this connection, however, the Premium Data Connectors are not a straight forward process which is why we make articles like this to help you make the connections more easily. This one requires a few steps, with a few different links to get very specific pieces of information to make this connection within iDashboards. The Blackbaud FE NXT API is part of the Premium Data Connectors if you do not have these please contact your Client Success Manager.
- Log into the Financial Edge software and create an admin user account.
- *Note: We recommend a separate account that will be used exclusively for the API connection, but you're welcome to use an existing Admin account.
Building the Connection String
The following steps will need to be performed on the iDashboards server
- Open the Command Prompt and navigate to your drivers folder
- C:\Program Files\iDashboards_SVR\ivizgroup\drivers>
- Run the command java -jar cdata.jdbc.financialedgenxt.jar to open the driver connection properties.
- Scroll down to the OAuth section
- Set Initiate Oauth to: GETANDREFRESH
- Fill in the Callback/Redirect URI, OAuth Client ID and Secret, and the Subscription Key, which is also the Primary Access Key from step 3 in the first section. The callback URL should be http://localhost:6700 by default.
- Stop the iDashboards Server Service (iDashboardsSRV) and click Test Connection in the connection properties window.
- This should open a browser and in the URL you will see a code. This code is your OAuth Access Token. Plug that into the appropriate field in Connection Properties.
In the Connection Properties, set OAuth Settings Location to C:\CData\FinancialEdgeNXT Data Provider\OAuthSettings.txt. This will generate a text file that regenerates the Refresh Token when a successful connection is made.
- Start the iDashboards Server Service (iDashboardsSRV)
- Log into the Admin Console or Data Hub and go to Data Sources
- Click New
- Fill in the highlighted fields
- Copy the Connection String you just created into the Database URL box
- Please Note: If the whole string doesn't fit in this field, you can cut out the client ID and secret and paste this into the Optional Driver Properties
- Driver Class: cdata.jdbc.financialedgenxt.FinancialEdgeNXTDriver
- Click here for more information
- Click Save
For More Information:
- Creating a Database URL (Connection String)
- Blackbaud SKY API Documentation
- Blackbaud Financial Edge NXT Documentation
- iDashboards Admin Manual 10. Managing Data Sources
Disclaimer: iDashboards Technical Support Engineers are not proficient in the Management and Integration of every API that exists as new APIs are being created everyday with each company that wants to provide seamless integration with other software. However, we do our best to help you make these connections because we want to assist you in your success. If you do not see an article for a connection you would like to make please contact iDashboards Support and know that it will take a bit of time to figure out what is necessary for this integration.
If the above is unable to resolve the issue, then please contact iDashboards Support for further assistance.