The most common use for this feature is if you've created dashboards in the Eval version of the software and need to import your work to the Enterprise version of the software, since there is no way to backup and restore the integrated Apache Derby database.
Dashboards and charts can't be exported from your Personal category. So if this is the case, you'll need to save them to a different category first. To do this, begin with the charts in the Personal category. You'll need to open each one and select a different category from the Category drop down and save. If you have any picklists do the same. Lastly save the dashboards to the same category through the Extended Dashboards Properties.
Assigning Global ID's
Note - If you are importing charts/dashboards to a system that already contains charts/dashboards a best practice is to set the global ID's to a large number to avoid conflicts and or overwriting your current charts/dashboards
- Log into the Admin console > System > Import/Export
- Operation Dropdown: Select Manage Global ID's
- Set a global ID for the Category containing your charts you wish to export
- Click Dashboards from the menu on the left and enter global ID's for the dashboards you're exporting, and repeat from charts, picklist, etc.
Exporting Charts and Dashboards
Now that the global IDs have been assigned you can begin the export process.
- Operation Dropdown: Select Export Charts and Dashboards
- Click the + button on the right of the category you exporting to expand it
- Check the highlighted box in the header to check all the boxes in the category
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for Charts and Picklists
- Click the green Export button in the upper right and zip file will be created and saved to your download directory
Importing Charts and Dashboards
- Operation Dropdown: Select Import Charts and Dashboards
- Click Choose File and navigate to the zip file, select it and click Submit
- Click the green Import button in the upper right
Note - If the system finds charts and dashboards with the same global ID's as what you are importing, the existing charts and dashboards will be overwritten if you proceed.