To use iDashboards software you MUST have some form of SQL Database. We often suggest MS SQL as there is a lot you can do with it and they also offer a FREE version if you are uncertain of purchasing or using another type of SQL Server (MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL). This is also the SQL Database iDashboards uses, so we can offer more support and training.
Installing MS SQL Server Express
If you do not have a purchased copy of MS SQL Server please install SQL Server Express and SQL Server Management Studio (free download) from:
SQL Server Express (scroll down a bit and it will be on the right)
- Select Basic Installation
- Read and Click Accept
- Choose your installation location and click Install
- Then click on Install SSMS (the next download)
Installing SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
Also please download and run the installer for SQL Server Management Studio (just in case you clicked close)
- Click Install
- Close - if this seems to take forever to install check your firewall settings to make sure the appropriate ports are allowing it through.
This will be useful once you have SQL Server Express and SQL Server Management Studio installed onto the new server to help you set up or copy your repository (if migrating servers) so you know how the HTML software works with your data.
We would also like to get your data sources connected and any security configurations you may want in place, please have all of the following information ready for your next steps.
- Type of Database:
- Current Version:
- Server Name or IP:
- Ports Using (if not 6700 and 1433):
- User Name:
- License file
- Will you be using SSL/LDAP/LAPS/SSO - this is important to know so we can plan the appropriate amount of time for your installation or migration.
Once you have all of this done, please contact Support and we can work on the iDashboards installation.
Please Note If you are migrating servers please see the following links:
- Migrating your iDashboards to a new MS SQL Server
- Migrating your iDashboards Software to a New Server